VCU wouldn’t be VCU without the arts, and neither would Richmond.
Based in a city that’s known for embracing the arts, our graduate arts program is ranked one of the top by U.S. News and World Report. But it’s more than that.
Our business school has an artist-in-residence. Our medical residents take sculpture classes to better understand the body. The newly opened Institute for Contemporary Art is drawing national attention. And each year we offer hundreds of performances, exhibits and screenings to the community. When our students graduate, they’re equipped with a creative mindset that sets them apart.
- Students in costume performing on stage during Into the Woods production [View Image]
- Man twirling flames outside at night during First Fridays [View Image]
- Student dancers perform on stage [View Image]
- School of Business artist in residence Noah Scalin’s installation, “Portrait of Innovation: Maggie Walker” [View Image]
- VCU’s student fashion show. [View Image]
- Student musicians take a hint from the world of sports and use a motion caption lab and video footage to understand the mechanics of the way they play. [View Image]
- Students prepare for the Anderson Gallery’s 2017 Undergraduate Exhibition. [View Image]
- Filming of Homeland on the VCU campus. [View Image]
- Palette Dance Class. [View Image]
Want to see what’s happening?
VCU’s School of the Arts offers 18 undergraduate and 5 graduate degree programs
The Institute for Contemporary Art is on a mission to spark discussion, trigger emotion and promote collaboration with provocative art, lectures and performances from local, national and international artists.
Just add arts
VCU is forever proving that magic happens when you infuse art and creativity into other disciplines.
Arts students team up with engineering and biology students to design a green wall that helps reduce urban heat island Read more[View Image]
Students rolling on chairs down a hallway.
Up all night
At annual CreateAthon, arts, advertising, business and other students spend 24 hours providing free creative work to area nonprofits Read more[View Image]
Students playing in an orchestra
Music that mends
Students perform musical adaptation of book written by English professor and former inmates who took his writing class while in jail Read more[View Image]
Close up of graphic novel interior page.
Communication arts major uses research grant to create a graphic novel that helps children navigate diabetes Read more[View Image]
Richmond arts scene
Here is just a sampling of the places and events that make Richmond’s art scene so very vibrant. And where you find art in Richmond, you’ll likely find VCU students, faculty or alumni involved.
Where to see arts on campus
VCU is home to great visual and performing arts venues.
- A performance of the Pirates of Penzance. [View Image]
- [View Image]
- Art exhibit at the Anderson gallery. [View Image]
- VCU symposium “Yoruba Art: Continuity and Change" [View Image]
- Building front of the Black music centet [View Image]
- Art exhibit at the Depot. [View Image]
- Four students performing on stage set to look like children [View Image]
- 40 visiting artists hosted throughout the year
- Richmond named a top city for creatives by Thrillist, 2016
- 323 students at VCUarts’ branch campus in Doha, Qatar