Everyone writes differently, but here's some basic tips.
- Use the questions in this pamphlet as a jumpstart and let your ideas grow from there.
- Narrow your topics down.
- Focus your ideas on something central.
- Find the connective tissue of the piece.
- Take a step back; do something else. It will help you reflect on what you’ve written when you return
Have a chat
- Talk to someone about what you’re writing about (a friend, a parent, a Writing Consultant).
- Writing is meant to be read and understood! Communicate your ideas to someone off the page.
- Check in with yourself. Reflect on everything you’ve written so far. Is this reflective of what you want to do for the next few years?
- Don’t leave this all to the end! Revise as you go. Revision is an active, reflective process — ideas grow and shift.
Rinse and repeat in any order!