COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Daily Updates and ResourcesCOVID Resources
Like VCU and our community of Richmond, VA, our psychiatry residency experience stands out from the crowd. Check us out to see if we’re a good fit for your future as a physician.
1. A distinct and decided vision and mission. To be specific, we’re committed to:
2. Strong, involved leaders. 24/7. We provide you, the resident, with the educational, administrative and personal support to prepare you for excellence in psychiatric medicine.
3. Challenging, supportive environment. VCU Health’s psychiatry residency program isn’t the easiest program you could find. Our program pushes you, because we’re preparing you well for a future serving a variety of patients, and in a variety of settings. Our promise to you: from our leadership team, your mentors and members of your cohort, we’ll support you in becoming a well-rounded, highly capable, compassionate psychiatrist.
4. Diverse patient population. One of the many strengths you’ll experience here at VCU is tremendous clinical exposure to a broad population of patients, including those with challenging psychiatric conditions and those with complex comorbidities.
5. Camaraderie and collegiality. In the hospital and out. In class and out on the town. For you, that means you’ll enjoy special access to our faculty and their strong professional connections—locally, nationally and internationally.
6. Dedication to teaching and learning. Talented teachers, skilled clinicians, invested researchers, active mentors. We each chose VCU psychiatry because of its committed, respected and talented team. And we remain here because we each found a great fit. We love what we do.
7. We’re part of Richmond, VA, and Richmond’s part of us. You can’t separate the two, which makes it a GREAT place to learn, live, raise a family, contribute to the community. Minimal commute. Maximum lifestyle—with easy daytrips to big cities, beautiful beaches and refreshing mountains.
8. Nationally known for innovation. You’ll benefit from the fact that our psychiatric residency program is one of the most innovative programs in the country. We keep our eyes on the changing healthcare environment and what that means to maintain excellence in training and practice. So you’ll be prepared to succeed, no matter where you head after training.
“We are a well-rounded teaching program, and we learn about how biological, psychological and social factors affect mental illness, as well as how they can all be integrated into a comprehensive treatment plan for patients. This program has taught me how to be a solid therapist, and combine psychotherapy and medication management into an efficient and compassionate combination of treatment.”
“When I first started at the program I was told by the residents that I would be well prepared by the time I graduated. Although only a second year resident, I can already appreciate the force behind that statement. We not only see a wide variety of patients through the inpatient unit and emergency department, but also while rotating through Eastern State Hospital, ECT service, and consultation liason service. The program also prepares us for outpatient management by having residents start psychotherapy during the second year that is continued throughout the residency program. All of the faculty and staff are very supportive and foster an environment that is conducive for learning. I have no doubt that with the number of patients seen and the support and guidance from the faculty and staff I will be able to tell future residents the same statement."
Kate Smith, DO, former Chief Resident