Your eID username is automatically generated when you are initially affiliated with VCU. It is based on your legal name or name of use. Below are the only authorized reasons for obtaining a new eID.
- Your legal name or name of use has changed (e.g., after a marriage or divorce). After updating the legal name or name of use, you will see the below option to change your eID is automatically presented.
- Please visit https://myeid.vcu.edu and go to the 'My Profile' tab. Select 'Generate New eID' to rename your eID. ('Generate New eID', the option is only available after you have updated your legal or name of use name)
To change your legal name employee should contact your department Personal Administrator (PA) and Students should contact Records and Registration
- The eID was created based on an incorrectly spelled name (e.g., your last name was initially entered as Smmith instead of Smith, resulting in an incorrectly spelled eID like smmithar).
Particular Circumstances for an eID Change
Reasons for an eID change outside legal or name of use may include but are not limited to: changing the eID to avoid cultural offense, offensive language, etc. Since the change affects an individual's multiple electronic records and key systems, an eID change requires prior review and approval from University administrative officials. The below procedure is to be used for all faculty, staff, students, and affiliates of the university using an eID.
- The individual shall make an official request describing the reason(s) in detail for the request. This request shall be submitted electronically via email to the individual's dean, equivalent administrative position (e.g., associate vice president, vice provost, vice president, etc.). The dean or administrative officer may delegate approval to a senior administrator in his or her unit. Note: this allows the individual schools to adjust their systems as well.
- If the dean or administrative officer approves the request, they submit the request electronically via email with the related information to the Chief Information Security Officer, Technology Services, for his approval. Note: this is to confirm that the request does not conflict with existing eIDs.
- If the request is approved, a support ticket is created to coordinate the change with the university's other system units and notify the user once the account has been changed.