- No labels
Welcome to the SOMTech Research Systems wiki page.
The Research Systems unit provides high quality, innovative system solutions to the basic health science and clinical research faculty and staff at the School of Medicine. Research Systems is an independent unit that works closely and collaborates with SOMTech Client Services.
For more information and to learn how research collaboration can help achieve your research objectives, please contact:
- Inspire researchers through our broad understanding of IT for research.
- Reach out to all researchers to deliver practical solutions that enable world class research.
- Maximize impact by exploiting our expertise across the research and IT domains.
- We will be customer-focused and talk the language of research.
- We will be approachable and responsive to all our customers’ needs.
- We will be solution-focused and have a technology-neutral approach.
- We value innovation and proactivity.
We provide the following services:
General IT Consulting
SOMTech Research IT offers consulting for SOM researchers. From identifying the best computing solution to working with sensitive data. We are here to help understand your needs, match you to appropriate resources, and help you get started using them.
HPC Consulting & On-boarding:
Working closely with VCU HPRC, SOMTech Research Systems can consult with users about their requirements to run their research on VCU's high performance research computing platform.
Research Data Management:
The demands on researchers to manage their research output are growing and we are ideally placed to assist. We can help with the design of Research Data Management plans and deliver highly scalable, agile, research-data aligned secure storage.
We can also advise on and provide virtual servers, research data storage, database hosting and bespoke network infrastructure solutions to researchers.
Research applications are vital for the effective analysis and visualization of the often large and complex data sets created and accessed during research. We can provide you with a range of these specialized applications along with the support, consultancy and training to get the most out of them. Specific services provided include:
- Visualization and data analytics applications
- Research applications support and licensing
- Research outreach and consultancy
- Research IT Training
Cloud Computing Support:
- Consulting services and documentation to solve common problems of access and administration of public cloud resources, and integration with teaching.
- Support for commercial services (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Integration with data and network infrastructure
Effective collaboration is essential to the research process and we can help you with systems to enable collaboration with colleagues both within and external to the university. We also offer a range of opportunities for collaboration on specific topics of interest through computational research platforms and other activities.