- No labels
Our network drives are maintained by our colleagues in the School of Medicine Technology Services (SOMTech) group. If you do not have access and require it, contact IT Director Brian Bush for assistance. Typical Biostatistics users who log on to department-owned machines on the VCU wired (Ethernet) network should see two drive mappings:
Home drive for private storage - recommended storage location for all VCU-related files to prevent loss in the event of computer hard drive failure
Department and group shares for collaboration; users should see a Biostatistics subfolder here, and may see additional folders if they collaborate with other groups
On the department share (T:), under the Biostatistics folder, the following subfolders may be available:
Access is provided to the department administrative team for admin operations files.
Faculty and Staff
Access is provided to department faculty and staff, who may create subdirectories and modify files.
Subfolders are created to support specific project needs – i.e. small group collaborations,
The department administrative team posts documents here, for faculty, staff, and students to read.
Manually Mapping Drives
It is possible to map these drives on personally owned machines or those which are not on the VCU internal network (home use).
First, you need one of the following elements to connect to these drives:
- A VCU ethernet connection (physically plugged in to network)
- A VCU VPN connection (from anywhere in the world)
- Follow the directions in the "Manual Connections" section of the SOM File Shares page, being sure to prefix your eID with "rams\" (i.e. rams\jcsmith99). A helpdesk ticket is not required.
Requesting Small Group Collaboration Space
In support of a small group collaboration that requires access be restricted to named individuals, any Biostatistics faculty/staff/student may request a subfolder underneath the Projects directory. Simply log a SOMTech ticket by following the same procedure used for desktop support. In the ticket, specify:
- You are requesting a subfolder be created under \\somadfs2\somsad\Biostatistics\Projects
- The desired name of the subfolder.
- The eID's of the users who should be able to modify (or read only if necessary) the files in the folder.