If you are interested in accessing the data on the share files away from VCU, please complete the Remote Access Request Form. Approval from your supervisor will be required.
If you are not for some reason, on a SOMTechSOM-supported Windows computer, then connections must be manually established. Before connecting, please review the security standards to make sure that your computer is adequately secure. Please do not store data on an insecure computer.Once you have verified that your computer is secure, you can setup a manual connection to the shares using the instructions below. These instructions are only for on-campus wired connectionsthe SOM Shares do not map automatically when you login - use the instructions below to manually map the drives.
If you are working from a personal computer - contact SOMTech and we can investigate configuring remote access to a SOM computer to ensure data security.
For Windows 7 10 PCs, please follow these steps to establish a connection:
- Click the Start button.
- Click Click Computer/This PC.
- Click the Map network drive button in the toolbar. This will open the Map Network Drive window.
- Select an unused drive letter from the Drive: dropdown.
- Enter the following folder in the Folder field:
- Check the box to Connect using different credentials.
- Click the Finish button.
- When prompted for your login credentials, enter your eID and eID password.
- After submitting your credentials, a drive which contains both department share folders and your home folder will be mapped.