The SOM Dean's Office provides a limited amount of secure data storage for all SOM departments. This data is backed up nightly and secured using folder permissions. When logging onto a SOMTech-supported Windows computer, users will be given a T: drive (Share drive) which houses department-shared data and a U: drive (Home drive) which is data that is not shared with other users.
If you are interested in accessing the data on the share files away from VCU, please complete the Remote Access Request Form. Approval from your supervisor will be required.
If for some reason, on a SOM-supported Windows computer, the SOM Shares do not map automatically when you login - use the instructions below to manually map the drives.
For Windows 10 PCs, please follow these steps to establish a connection:
- Click the Start button.
- Click Computer/This PC.
- Click the Map network drive button in Begin typing This PC and wait for the results
(NOTE: If manually mapping on a VCU Health computer - it may rename This PC to match your VCU Health username, look for the icon on your desktop instead)
- Within This PC, select the File tab and then choose Map network drive from the toolbar. This will open the Map Network Drive window.
- Select an unused drive letter from the Drive: dropdown.
Enter the following folder in the Folder field:
Check the box to Connect using different credentials.
Click the Finish button.
- When prompted for your login credentials, enter your eID and eID password.
(if you're on a VCU Health computer, then you will likely need to enter your eID as such: RAMS\<eIDHere>
- After submitting your credentials, a drive which contains both department share folders and your home folder will be mapped.
For Macs, please follow these steps to establish a connection: