- No labels
The SOM Dean's Office provides a limited amount of secure data storage for all SOM departments. This data is backed up nightly and secured using folder permissions. When logging onto a SOMTech-supported Windows computer, users will be given a T: drive (Share drive) which houses department-shared data and a U: drive (Home drive) which is data that is not shared with other users.
If you are interested in accessing the data on the share files away from VCU, please complete the Remote Access Request Form. Approval from your supervisor will be required.
If you are not on a SOMTech-supported Windows computer, then connections must be manually established. Before connecting, please review the security standards to make sure that your computer is adequately secure. Please do not store data on an insecure computer.
Once you have verified that your computer is secure, you can setup a manual connection to the shares using the instructions below. These instructions are only for on-campus wired connections.
For Windows 7 PCs, please follow these steps to establish a connection:
- Click the Start button.
- Click Computer.
- Click the Map network drive button in the toolbar. This will open the Map Network Drive window.
- Select an unused drive letter from the Drive: dropdown.
- Enter the following folder in the Folder field:
- Check the box to Connect using different credentials.
- Click the Finish button.
- When prompted for your login credentials, enter your eID and eID password.
- After submitting your credentials, a drive which contains both department share folders and your home folder will be mapped.
For Macs, please follow these steps to establish a connection:
- Open Finder.
- Within the top menu bar, click on the Go dropdown.
- From the Go menu, select Connect to Server.... (or press Cmd + K)
- In the Server Address field, enter the following paths, substituting
DEPT with the department name listed in the list below and
eID with your eID.
Click the plus sign (+) after entering each address to save them to the Favorite Servers section.
- Highlight the server that you want to connect to and click the Connect button.
- When prompted for your login credentials, enter your eID and eID password (In certain circumstances, you may need to precede your eID with RAMS\, like RAMS\eID).
- You should now see shortcuts to the file shares on the desktop.
Department Folder Names
Use the department/division folder names below when manually connecting to the file shares from a Mac.
- Addiction Psych
- Anatomy Pictures
- Deans Office
- Emergency Medicine
- Health Disparities
- Health Innovation
- Health Behavior and Policy
- IM Administration
- IM Cardiology
- IM Endocrinology
- IM Family Medicine
- IM Gastroenterology
- IM General Medicine
- IM Geriatrics
- IM Hematology Oncology
- IM HIV AIDS Center
- IM Infectious Diseases
- IM Nephrology
- IM Neurology
- IM OEA
- IM Psychiatry
- IM Pulmonary
- IM Quality Health
- IM RAI
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Parkinson Clinic
- Physiology and Biophysics
SBH HIPAA Social and Behavioral Health
- Technology Services
- Womens Health Institute