The mission of VCU’s Office of Development and Alumni Relations is to maximize philanthropic support by engaging stakeholders with our institution working in partnership with all VCU schools, programs and campuses as one development and alumni relations community and implementing the best practices and efficient strategies to achieve a comprehensive development program.
Office of Development and Alumni Relations Leadership Team
|Jay E. Davenport [View Image]||Jay E. Davenport, CFRE, vice president of development and alumni relations (Jay’s bio)|
|Magnus Johnsson 2015 [View Image]||Magnus Johnsson (M.P.A.’10/GPA; Cert.’10/GPA), senior associate vice president for development (Magnus’ bio)|
|Samantha Marrs April 2016 [View Image]||Samantha Wheeler Marrs, senior associate vice president for development operations (Samantha’s bio)|
|Henry Davis September 2014 [View Image]||Henry Davis III, director of finance and budget (Henry’s bio)|
|Laura Kottkamp April 2016 [View Image]||Laura Kottkamp, executive director, School of Business Foundation & Corporate Relations and executive director, VCU Foundation|
|Philip L. O'Connor [View Image]||Philip L. O'Connor, executive director, College of Engineering Foundation and Corporate Relations|
|Margaret Ann Bollmeier CORRECT April 2016 [View Image]||Margaret Ann Bollmeier, president, MCV Foundation|
Departments within the Office of Development and Alumni Relations
The Office of Development and Alumni Relations provides all VCU development offices in schools and units with central services.
Office of the Vice President
Led by Jay E. Davenport, the Office of the Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations provides the leadership and specialized knowledge necessary to promote and expand private gift support.
The Office of Annual Giving cultivates annual giving to the university through increased participation by alumni and friends. The office assists academic and nonacademic units with their annual fundraising to increase gift support for the university. At VCU, annual giving includes gifts of less than $50,000 given by alumni and friends on a regular basis. Meet the Annual Giving staff.
Advancement Services provides support to all development and alumni relations efforts universitywide through the following areas: Gifts and Records Management, Development Research and Prospect Management and IT, Online Services and Reporting.
- Gifts and Records Management provides consistent, timely and accurate depositing and recording of revenue transactions to VCU and its affiliated foundations. Gifts and Records Management ensures that gifts are receipted within IRS guidelines and that accurate and timely pledge reminders are sent. Gifts and Records management is also responsible for effectively maintaining VCU’s constituent records database.
- Development Research and Prospect Management provides relevant, timely and actionable intelligence and management support to the development community at VCU. The core functions of the office are prospect identification, prospect/donor research and reporting, portfolio support, moves management, and prospect strategy.
- IT office provides end-user support for DAR applications to all users involved in fundraising and alumni activities at VCU.
- The Online and Reporting Services team assists in developing ad-hoc reports, online giving forms, event registration forms, electronic communications, web sites, application development, vendor and data integrations, and other internal application development.
- Meet the Advancement Services staff.
Alumni Relations, through VCU Alumni and its constituent organizations, nurtures lifelong relationships with and among current and future VCU alumni. As a committed partner of the university, VCU Alumni offers valuable benefits and programs for alumni and creates support for VCU. Meet the Alumni Relations staff.
Corporate and Foundation Relations
The Corporate and Foundation Relations office secures private support for university priorities by fostering relationships with corporations, foundations and other philanthropic organizations. Meet the Corporate and Foundation Relations staff.
DAR Communications develops and implements comprehensive, strategic communications that engage alumni and donors and increase participation through giving. Meet the DAR Communications staff.
The Donor Relations office inform donors about the ways their gifts are being used, involves them in the life of the university and thanks them for their contributions in distinctive, visible and memorable ways. Meet the Donor Relations staff.
The Office of Gift Planning exists to support develop staff and to assist alumni and friends of the university as they consider the impact they would like to make at VCU and how best to achieve those philanthropic goals in a tax wise manor through current gifts, planned gifts and estate gifts.
The Office of Regional Giving exists to increase contact and major donor activity in strategic regions outside of Richmond, Virginia. The office is dedicated to supporting the fundraising goals of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations. Meet the Office of Regional Giving staff.
The Office of Gift Planning exists to support develop staff and to assist alumni and friends of the university as they consider the impact they would like to make at VCU and how best to achieve those philanthropic goals in a tax wise manor through current gifts, planned gifts and estate gifts. Meet the staff.