Facts and rankings
Get to know VCU
We believe discovery and creativity go hand in hand. We believe in creating good ideas that really help people. We believe in the students we educate and the more than 200 programs we offer them. And we believe our grit, our relationship with the city, and our commitment to diversity and access set us apart from your average college. Here are some stats and facts that tell you who we are.
- 31,076 students enrolled
- 18:1 student-faculty ratio
- 2,501 full-time faculty
- 193,724 alumni
Our graduate schools and programs ranked in the top 50
1st Fine Arts — Sculpture
1st Nurse Anesthesia
2nd Fine Arts
3rd Education — Online
3rd Fine Arts — Glass
4th Rehabilitation Counseling
5th Health Care Management
7th Fine Arts — Graphic Design
7th Fine Arts — Painting/Drawing
9th Fine Arts — Ceramics
10th Fine Arts — Printmaking
17th Occupational Therapy
20th Best Education Schools
20th Nuclear Engineering
20th Physical Therapy
25th Social Work
39th Public Affairs
44th Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
48th Engineering — Online
These rankings are based on the most recent U.S. News & World Report Best Graduate School rankings and Best Online Colleges rankings. Find more rankings.
We add to Richmond’s coolness factor.
$6 billion economic impact as Richmond’s largest employer
1.3 million hours of service by students equaling $30 million in volunteer work
41% of alumni live in Richmond
$2 million+ raised in investment and revenue by student startups
82% full time
86% Virginia residents
30% underrepresented minority*
23% enrolled in STEM majors
1,709 first professionals
1,260 international students, representing 101 countries
Top four: China, India, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait
6,628 students live on campus
* Underrepresented minorities include: American Indian/Alaska Native, Black/African American (not of Hispanic origin), Hispanic/Latino (including persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Central or South American origin), Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, or two or more races (multiracial) that consists of at least one of the ethnic/racial groups mentioned above.
Undergraduate tuition, fees and financial aid*
Virginia resident: $14,490
Room and board: $10,428
Average financial aid awarded to full-time undergraduates seeking assistance in 2017-18: $16,328
More than one-third of VCU’s more than 24,000 undergraduates are Pell eligible, and we make sure these students succeed, graduating at nearly the same rate as students who do not receive Pell grants.
* Based on 15 credit hours per semester and 30 credit hours for the 2018-19 year.
- Top 100 National Science Foundation research university
- Top 3 Virginia research university
- $271 million in sponsored research in fiscal year 2018
Our research and innovation
- Awarded $25 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to lower cost of lifesaving drugs. The College of Engineering leads this multidepartment and multi-university research collaborative.
- Interdisciplinary research strengths include neuroscience; cancer; substance abuse and addiction; the human microbiome; and nanoscience, nanomedicine and nanotechnology
- No. 14 nationally for addiction studies research, per National Institutes of Health
- No. 32 nationally for neuroscience research, per National Institutes of Health
- One of only 54 universities nationwide to be designated by the Carnegie Foundation
as “Community Engaged” with “Very High Research Activity”
Largest employer in Richmond
22,888 employees at VCU and VCU Health System
2,739 full-time classified staff members
2,338 full-time faculty members
978 part-time adjunct faculty members
No. 1 hospital in Richmond
- VCU Medical Center is both the region’s safety net hospital and its No. 1-ranked hospital. It is the only Level I trauma center in Virginia that is verified in burn, pediatric and adult trauma care.
- More than 11,000 employees
- More than 95,000 Emergency Department visits per year
- More than 779,000 outpatient clinic visits per year
- More than 39,000 inpatient discharges per year
Just how big is our campus?
173 acres in downtown Richmond
Branch campuses and satellite locations:
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- VCUarts Qatar
- VCU Health satellite locations
- VCU Rice Rivers Center
- VCU School of Medicine Inova Fairfax Campus
- VCU School of Pharmacy Inova Campus
- VCU School of Pharmacy University of Virginia Division
Looking for even more facts about VCU?
Explore the latest facts and stats.
VCU is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, master’s, doctoral and first-professional degrees. For more information, visit sacs.vcu.edu.
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033
For information on specialized university program accreditations or certifications, please visit the department or office website of which the program is a part.
Student consumer information
Students and prospective students may find the information resources of the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia of use in planning for college and careers. SCHEV has created an institutional profile for each Virginia public college and university, and for each independent college or university participating in the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant Program.