January Wellness Toolkit
Live programming and content to jumpstart your 2021 wellness habits
January 2021 is the perfect time to push the reset button and focus on making wellness a new habit for the new year. The VCU Alumni Wellness Toolkit provides tips, inspiration and events to help you stay well in seven key areas: career/financial, emotional, environmental, intellectual, physical, social and spiritual.
In addition to the opportunities below, connect with VCU Alumni on Facebook and Instagram this month for more tips and tricks to start the year off with a healthy outlook. You can find most of the prerecorded videos on our Youtube wellness playlist.
- Making “Cents” of Your Credit Score
- Looking to make a big purchase in 2021 or simply just trying to understand what your credit score means? Tom Katovsich (M.B.A.’18/B), a credit risk analyst team member at Dominion Energy, breaks it down for you in this YouTube video, so you don’t have to stress.
- Making Money Moves: Personal Finance, Budgeting
- Make personal finances and savings a part of your 2021 goals. Nothing beats the safety and security of financial stability. Check out some tips from Sydney Knotts (B.S.’19/B), a finance rotation program associate with Capital One, on YouTube to start your savings plan.
- VCU Link
- Join our online community for connecting students, alumni and friends of the university for career advice, industry contacts and meaningful professional relationships.
- Online Career Design Fellowship
- Enroll in the online Alumni Career Design Fellowship, Feb. 6-March 6, to find the clarity and plan you need to create a fulfilling career. Register by Jan. 16 and save $50.
- Financial Fridays with Tiera Byrd (B.S.’12/B) from Foreverfrugal 2
- Look for Tiera’s tips on financial success on VCU Alumni’s Instagram page every Friday in January. For more tips, follow Tiera on Instagram at @foreverfrugal2.
- African-American Alumni Council Mentoring Program
- Draw on your real-world experience to give students advice on career paths, social settings and other choices that come after graduation. The AAAC Mentoring Circle is looking for Black alumni to pair with Black students at VCU as they work to earn one of their most valuable assets, a college degree.
- It’s OK to Not Be OK
- Learn tips in this video for staying happy and healthy in your postgrad life from Caroline S. Coffill, LCSW, clinical case manager and outreach coordinator with VCU University Counseling Services, and Mia Liadis, NCC (B.S.’14/H&S; M.Ed.’17/E), a wellness health educator with the Health Promotion and Well-being Center, known as The Well.
- VCU’s The Well’s Mental Wellness Resource Guide
- Finding health and wellness habits outside of physical health is equally important. Check out The Well’s Mental Wellness Resource Guide for tons of tips, videos and ways to care for your mental health.
- Book Club
- Kick-start your 2021 reading list and cozy up with Brit Bennett’s acclaimed novel “The Vanishing Half,” in VCU Alumni’s Virtual Book Club. Enjoy discussing stimulating topics with your VCU community starting Jan. 7.
- “Fulfilling the Promise”: A discussion with Dr. Trani and Dr. Kneebone
- Listen to the unique story of VCU and the context in which the university was forged and eventually thrived through interviews with Eugene P. Trani, Ph.D., president emeritus of VCU and University Distinguished Professor, and John T. Kneebone, Ph.D., VCU associate professor of history emeritus
- VCU Center for Corporate Education
- Part of wellness is keeping your mind stimulated. The VCU Center for Corporate Education has plenty of opportunities to sharpen your skills.
- VCU Office of Continuing and Professional Education
- Engage in lifelong learning with the Office of Continuing and Professional Education to develop your personal and professional skills.
- Virtual Barre Fitness Class
- Join certified barre instructor Ashley Bacon-Ward (B.S.’07/H&S) for a live barre fitness class. Visit the VCU Alumni Instagram page at 8 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 7, ready to sweat, feel the burn and have fun during this 45-minute class.
- VCU Alumni Bike Jersey
- Fulfill your New Year’s resolutions the most stylish way possible. Order your bike jersey today.
- Let’s BinGO Rams!
- Welcome VCU’s 2020 graduates into the alumni family with our first official alumni event of the year. Play bingo and socialize with other Rams.
- Unusual Creatures with Michael Hearst
- Need a chance to be silly with your kids and learn about unusual animals from around the world? Watch this video for some musical fun.
- Moment of Zen on Campus
- Do you need a moment of quiet and self-reflection? Join VCU Alumni live on Facebook 2 p.m. EST Tuesday, Jan. 19, for a chance to add a little peace to your day.
Apps for well-being
Check out these wellness apps recommended VCU’s The Well.
Categories News, VCU Alumni
- Stop, Breathe and Think
- Insight Timer
- My Mood Tracker
- Mental Health
- 7 Cups