Teaching & Research Use
VCU has a SAS university site license for VCU Academic Education and Research only. Teaching faculty may use it as a resource for teaching and learning, to gain analytical skills, build courses, create degree programs, grant certificates, conduct academic research, and network with other SAS users. It does NOT allow use for administrative purposes (see the Admin Use tab above) or use by VCUHS employees.
Site License Restrictions
- Usage is limited to VCU related academic teaching and academic research.
- Any other use, including but not limited to university administration and operations, is strictly prohibited. In particular, the following are prohibited:
- VCU administrative use (if you need SAS for administrative use, please visit the above Admin Use tab)
- any VCUHS use or McGuire VA Medical Center use
- Usage is limited to currently enrolled VCU students and currently employed faculty or staff members of VCU.
- Installation and licensing are limited to computers owned by:
- Currently enrolled VCU students **
- Currently employed faculty or staff members of VCU **
** If your VCU enrollment, employment, or computer ownership ends, the SAS products must immediately be uninstalled.
- A new license of SAS software is issued annually in July. Information on the request for renew is available under the Download/Renew/Access tab.
- Also, you MUST NOT:
- Make SAS license files (aka SID files or setinits) available to other persons or organizations.
- Transfer or export SAS outside the USA.
- Resell or distribute the SAS license or software.
- Reverse assemble, reverse engineer, or decompile the Software or otherwise attempt to access the source code.
- Use the SAS logo in SAS applications developed by VCU.
Note: Violation of the license policy may result in civil or criminal legal actions as well as University disciplinary action. Review the VCU Computer and Network Resource Use Policy for compliance details.
The SAS teaching and research site license, referenced in the above Teaching/Research Use tab, CANNOT be used for administrative purposes. However, separate administrative use licenses are available:
For Data on Banner ODS (Operational Data Store)
If you need to use SAS for administrative purposes in regard to data stored on the Banner ODS, such as HR, finance, or student records data, that can be accomplished by using certain SAS tools, such as SAS Enterprise Guide, without installing the full "Base SAS" software on your PC. For assistance, please contact the appropriate Banner ODS data owner. Additional Banner ODS data resources are available at ODS Data Access and Reporting.
For Other Data Sources or Uses
If you feel you need to install the full "Base SAS" software on your PC to use for administrative purposes, for example, to analyze non-Banner data, please visit SAS Admin request for more information and assistance.
Download/Renew/Access SAS for Teaching & Research
VCU provides SAS software free of charge to faculty, staff and students. The renewal of SAS licenses must be completed annually. SAS licenses expire on June 30 each year. There is a 90-day grace period that extends through September 28. Failure to renew prior to September 29 will result in SAS not running on your computer.
If you are interested in SAS Enterprise Miner/Text Miner, more information is available in the Software Center.
Supported Operating Systems
Installation of SAS
- University Owned Computer
Faculty and staff may have SAS install on their university owned computer. Contact your tech support team to request the installation or renewal of your Windows or Linux SAS license.
Tech support groups for VCU units may request download access to the SAS installation depot of files on our file server. The downloaded files can be used to install SAS within their unit in labs, classrooms, or university owned computers. To request download access, please contact the IT Support Center.
- Personally Owned Computer
Current VCU students, faculty, and staff, SAS is available for Windows and Linux at no charge for personally owned computers.
To obtain SAS for Windows:
- Go to https://vcu.onthehub.com.
- Conduct a search for SAS.
SAS Search on Kivuto [View Image]
- Add SAS to the Cart.
- Go to Cart.
- Click Checkout.
- Installation instructions links are listed below.
To obtain SAS for Linux:
Go to Obtain SAS 9.4 for Linux x64 and follow the directions presented to download the SAS94Linux.zip installation archive file from the Technology Services website. This zip archive file contains the files and folders needed to install SAS. Installation instructions links are listed below.
License Renewal Instructions
SAS On A Mac
SAS, per se, is not available for the Macintosh, only for Windows and Linux. However, there are some options available to allow you to use SAS on a Mac, as noted below. See also How to access SAS on a Mac.
- Free SAS - There is a free version of SAS, known as SAS OnDemand, that runs in the cloud and can be used directly on Windows, Mac, and Linux. SAS OnDemand is "real" SAS and is provided by SAS, Inc. It can only be used for learning and educational purposes or for academic research at VCU that is not being published for profit. For more information, please see Free SAS .
- Install Windows or Linux on a Mac - and then install and use SAS within that Windows or Linux environment. For information about obtaining and installing Windows, please see Windows on a Mac.
Other Ways to Access SAS
- SAS on the VCU App2Go Server - If you need quick access to SAS, the software may be accessed from the App2Go server via a web browser. App2Go provides you access to SAS (and several other applications) virtually. SAS appears to be running on your local computer, and you can open and save files on your computer and print on your local printer. More information is provided on the App2Go website and how to use the app2Go server. Applications on the App2Go server cannot be used in classroom settings.
- SAS on a VCU Linux Server - Koti is a central Linux server that provides access to SAS for researchers. SAS may be run in batch mode or interactive mode, or by using in conjunction with SAS on your PC.
How to determine what version you are running?
- Launch SAS.
- The SAS Log window will contain NOTEs which display the SAS version number and operating system platform.
How to find your SAS license expiration date?
To determine when your SAS software will expire, submit the following SAS program, and then look in the SAS Log window (note the two semi-colons):
Note that SAS will continue to run during a 90 day grace period beyond the expiration date that is displayed.
Training & Support
There are a number of training resources, consultation and technicial support services availalbe to faculty, staff and students. The list of available resources is listed below.
SAS Documentation and Resources
SAS e-Learning Courses - These are interactive video tutorials that are hosted on the SAS Academic Hub website. They allow you to learn basic, intermediate, and advanced SAS concepts and skills. They can be used to support academic instruction and research ONLY by current VCU students, faculty, and staff.
Current VCU students, faculty, and staff can gain FREE access to these SAS e-Learning courses as follows:
- Visit: Free SAS E-Learning for Academics
- Click either the For Educators or For Students button (they both get you to the same courses).
- Scroll down a bit and click the Register for the SAS Academic Hub button.
- On the next screen, login with your SAS profile (or click the Create profile button to create a free SAS profile).
- Follow the directions presented for accessing e-Learning and go through the checkout process. During checkout, be sure to use your vcu.edu email address.
- An email will be sent to you with an activation code and instructions for accessing the courses. If you encounter any problems or have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is a partial list of the available topics (as of July 2021):
- Applied Analytics using SAS Enterprise Miner
- JMP software: A Case Study Approach to Data Exploration
- JMP software: ANOVA and Regression
- JMP software: Classic Design of Experiments
- JMP software: Custom Design of Experiments
- JMP software: Instant Applications using JMP Application Builder
- JMP software: Stability Analysis
- JMP software: Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving
- Machine Learning Using SAS Viya
- Predictive Modeling Using Logistic Regression
- Programming for SAS Viya (3.5)
- SAS Certification Review: SAS 9.4 Base Programming Performance-Based Exam
- SAS Enterprise Guide 1: Querying and Reporting
- SAS Enterprise Guide 2: Advanced Tasks and Querying
- SAS Enterprise Guide: ANOVA, Regression, and Logistic Regression
- SAS Macro 1: Essentials
- SAS Macro 2: Advanced Techniques
- SAS Programming 1: Essential
- SAS Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques
- SAS Programming 3: Advanced Techniques and Efficiencies
- SAS SQL 1: Essentials
- SAS Visual Analytics 1 for SAS Viya: Basics
- SAS Visual Analytics 2 for SAS Viya: Advanced
- Statistics 1: Introduction to ANOVA, Regression, and Logistic Regression
- Using SAS Viya REST APIs with Python and R (3.4)
- SAS Help Videos - A series of web-based help videos for learning SAS, created by VCU's Dr. Ed Boone (the SAS videos are near the bottom of this page).
- O`Reilly for Higher Education - SAS video tutorials and other online SAS resources are available at no cost to VCU students, faculty, and staff. To access these, sign in with your VCU eID and password, then search for SAS, then select your desired format.
- LinkedIn Learning - SAS video tutorials are available at LinkedIn Learning, at no cost to VCU students, faculty, and staff. To access these, start at VCU LinkedIn Learning, click the Login to LinkedIn Learning button and login with your VCU eID and password. Then, at the LinkedIn Learning website, search for "SAS".
Instructor-Led SAS Classes at SAS Inc.
SAS Institute Training SAS Courses - SAS Institute offers an extensive selection of public course offerings. Nearest training locations are Arlington, VA, Washington DC, and Cary, NC. VCU faculty, staff, and students are eligible for a 50% educational discount on most SAS Institute public training courses, certification exams, and e-Learning courses.
SAS and Statistical Consulting Services at VCU
The VCU Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research provides a variety of consulting services through the Statistics and Analytics Consulting Lab. Inquiries and appointment requests may be directed to email@example.com.
If you have difficulty installing, licensing, or running SAS, please submit a ticket with the VCU IT Support Center for assistance.