Wolfram|Alpha is a computational knowledge engine which provides factual responses to queries ranging from mathematical formulas to pop culture trivia. Wolfram|Alpha gets its information from a knowledge base of curated data from outside sources.
Platform: Web browser
Cost: Free to all faculty, staff and students
- Who should use Wolfram|Alpha?
- How many grains of rice would it take to stretch around the moon?
- What happened in August 1969?
Calculate and compute
Compare and contrast
- Caffeine in 24 oz. coffee, 24 oz. soda
- Movies starring Kevin Bacon and Tom Cruise
- Site rank of tumblr.com vs instagram.com
Wolfram|Alpha is freely accessible online without a subscription, but with limited features. VCU has acquired a university license for Wolfram|Alpha Pro, providing all VCU matriculated students, faculty and staff access to the advanced paid features.
Paid subscriptions have no ads, and allow individuals to save favorite queries, view query history and set preferences. With Wolfram|Alpha Pro, you can:
- input your own data and images,
- upload and analyze over 60 file types,
- use a mathematical symbol keyboard,
- customize visual output,
- download output data,
- interact with output in Computable Document Format (CDF),
- view larger outputs (with zoom) and
- perform longer computations.
To obtain access to Wolfram|Alpha Pro, you must follow three steps.
Create and validate an account
- Go to user.wolfram.com and select Create Account.
Create a Wolfram ID using your VCU.edu email address and a secure password.
- Note: VCU Information Security advises to NOT use your VCU account password.
- Check your email for the account validation link.
- Click the link to validate your account.
Request a pro subscription
- Sign in to the Wolfram User Portal.
- Visit this link to request access to VCU’s subscription to Wolfram|Alpha Pro.
- Input your information in the Wolfram|Alpha Pro Subscription Request Form.
- Note: Your account must be registered with your VCU.edu email address in order to request a Pro subscription.
- Select Submit.
- Check your email and validate your Pro account subscription.
Sign in to access Wolfram|Alpha