Records management is the administrative term for the process of:
- the maintenance of currently-active, administratively-useful, public records;
- the disposition of public records that no longer serve administrative, legal, fiscal, or historical purposes; and,
- the preservation of those records that have historical, legal, fiscal, or administrative value or that must be preserved by law.
At Virginia Commonwealth University, records management is governed both by the state records management program, Public Records Act in the Code of Virginia and by VCU's Records Management policy. Responsibility for the state records management program under the Public Records Act is given to the State Library Board, which delegates the operation of the program to the staff of the Library of Virginia in Richmond. Each state agency is required to designate a records officer/records manager to be responsible for the operation of the records management program at that agency.
- For VCU, Barry Lanneau Jr is the Records Officer and can be reached at (804) 828-1414 or by email.
- For VCUHS, Annette Sullivan is the Record Retention Officer.
- For the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or e-discovery requests, please contact Michele Howell or visit the website.
Before the destruction of records, the University Records Officer must approve and sign line 8 of the online RM-3 form:
- RM-3: REQUEST Record Destruction Approval
- Example of a completed RM-3
- Not quite ready to submit official RM-3, but want to test drive? Demo Request Record Destruction Approval
- Instructions on completing an RM-3: Text | Video
- Need help measuring or estimating record volume? See the Volume Equivalency Table.
Records Management Training
All VCU staff and faculty members are encouraged to complete a records management training either in-person or on Blackboard. Please follow this link for more information and to register. You must have a VCU eID and password to register. Additionally, if you would like to request an on-site records training for your department, please submit an IT Support request.