Software Description: Microsoft Office is a collection of office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, and Publisher within a suite. The applications may vary within the available suites.
Platform: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS
Cost: Free for students, faculty, and staff when downloaded from the Microsoft Office 365 portal.
Disclosure: VCU has negotiated a special download for VCU students, faculty and staff for Microsoft Office for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Microsoft Office is available for free for current students, faculty, and staff via the Microsoft Office 365 portal at no charge. This includes downloading the Microsoft Office applications on up to five operating systems per person on Windows and Apple computers, as well as up to five mobile devices running Apple iOS and Android. Microsoft Office via the Office 365 portal is for personal use only, NOT for departmental purchases.
VCU community members can alternately download the applications via the On the Hub portal using the link below:
- Microsoft Office download ($9.75 for faculty/staff, free for students)
- This special download site is for personal use only, NOT for departmental purchases. Other items to note when using the On the Hub portal site:
- When you select a product for download, the product and the key are only visible for 30 days, after which the access expires. If you want more access time beyond 30 days, you can purchase this up front for $5.95 which provides two full years additional access or, reinstate it for 60 days for an $11.95 fee if you do not opt for extended two-year access initially.
- Be sure to save your downloads and keys for future needs such as transferring to a new computer or if your operating system and applications need to be reloaded.
Departments within the university have access to Microsoft Office through their technical support personnel. Other Microsoft products such as Visio and Project which are not included in the Microsoft agreement, can be purchased under the Commonwealth of Virginia Microsoft Academic Select Master Agreement. The vendor is eVA authorized for the State of Virginia. Agreement and procurement details are listed on this web page:
- VCU Technology Contracts [Departmental Purchase Only]
These tutorials available on Lynda.com will guide you in your usage of Microsoft Office.