If you need help setting up a new phone with DUO, please contact ITSC at 828-2227 or email@example.com
To safeguard our information from cyber threats, VCU has integrated VCU 2Factor Authentication.
What is VCU 2Factor Authentication?
VCU 2Factor authentication is an extra layer of security to ensure that you are the only person who can access your account, even if someone knows your password. VCU account access requires your eID, Password, and a Device.
The device can be any of:
- Smartphone/Tablet - DUO Mobile App Recommended option
- Legacy mobile phone - SMS
- Keychain token (like YubiKey)
Let's get started
The two-step process is:
- Download and install DUO Mobile App on your mobile device
- Register your device with VCU Central Authentication Service (CAS) by visiting http://my.vcu.edu from your mobile device
(Please click here for step-by-step instructions)
- If you are on the VCU campus, please be sure to turn off your WiFi on your mobile device before registration.
You can request a batch of ten passcodes to be sent via text message to your cell phone before you depart for your travel.
- From the Duo verification screen, press Send SMS passcodes. You will receive ten single-use codes via text message, which will allow you to authenticate up to ten times during your travel.
You will need to request the passcodes before you leave, or while in an area with cell service, as you will need a cell connection to receive the text message on your phone. You may request additional batches of passcodes while in areas with cell service (your carrier’s roaming or international texting rates will apply). Requesting a new batch of passcodes will invalidate any unused codes from the previous batch.
In situations where ten codes are not enough, contact the IT Support Center to generate a bypass code and set its validity period for the duration of travel.
To use the passcode, you will be prompted to verify your identity. At this stage, simply choose the “Enter a Passcode” option.