VCU Technology Services has a site license agreement with IBM, Inc., which allows currently enrolled/employed VCU students, faculty, and staff to use several popular SPSS products for Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh, and Linux, at no cost.
SPSS products obtained under the site license can be installed for free for VCU teaching and research use ONLY on computers owned by VCU, VCUHS or current VCU students, faculty, and staff.
SPSS licensing for administrative use may be purchased at a reduced rate through our site license agreement. Please contact the IT Support Center for assistance.
For more information concerning the permitted installation and use of the SPSS products, please see Conditions of License.
SPSS Products are also available for use via the web on the App2Go Server and on all VCU Library workstations and loaner laptops.
SPSS product availability
The SPSS products listed below are available for installation on the Windows, Macintosh, and Linux platforms and are available for use on the App2Go Server:
IBM SPSS Advanced Statistics
IBM SPSS Amos (not available for install on personally owned computers)
IBM SPSS Bootstrapping
IBM SPSS Categories
IBM SPSS Complex Samples
IBM SPSS Conjoint
IBM SPSS Custom Tables
IBM SPSS Data Preparation
IBM SPSS Decision Trees
IBM SPSS Direct Marketing
IBM SPSS Exact Tests
IBM SPSS Forecasting
IBM SPSS Missing Values
IBM SPSS Neural Networks
IBM SPSS Regression
IBM SPSS Amos is a stand-alone product that requires a separate installation. The other products above are available as menu choices when running IBM SPSS Statistics.
VCU does not license all SPSS products.
Conditions of license:
The IBM SPSS products obtained under in the new VCU site license are subject to all of the following conditions:
- Installation and licensing are limited to computers owned by:
- Currently enrolled VCU students or currently employed faculty or staff members of VCU or VCHHS. If that person's VCU enrollment or employment status ends or their ownership of the computer(s) ends, the IBM SPSS products MUST immediately be uninstalled.
- Usage is limited to:
- Currently enrolled VCU students
- Current VCU and VCUHS employees
- Usage is limited to VCU related teaching and non-commercial academic research. Noncommercial academic research means research by degree seeking students and faculty members where (i) the results of such research are not intended primarily for the benefit of a third party; (ii) such results are made available to anyone without restriction on use, copying or further distribution; and (iii) any copy of any such result is furnished for no more than the cost of hosting, reproduction, and shipping. Any other use, including, but not limited to, university administration and operations, is strictly prohibited. In particular, the following are prohibited:
- VCU administrative use
- VCUHS administrative use
- VAMC use.
- All installations must be registered.
- You may NOT resell this license and/or the products it covers.
Although administrative use is prohibited, individual administrative licenses may be purchased through our contract at an educationally discounted price. Please contact the Technology Services IT Support Center for more information.
Using R within SPSS
R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics. You may obtain a copy of R for your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.
R modules can be run from SPSS to provide additional methods of analysis within SPSS.