SAS 9.4 Install Instructions for Linux
These are instructions for installing SAS 9.4 for Linux 64-bit from the zip archive file named SAS94Linux.zip, which is available via the VCU Technology Services SAS Linux download website.
- Please refer to the system requirements for SAS® 9.4 Foundation for Linux for x64.
- The SAS94Linux.zip file will install SAS version 9.4 TS1M6, Rev. 940_20w17.
- If you need assistance, please contact the IT Support Center (828-2227, email@example.com).
- If possible, disable your anti-virus software before installation (and remember to re-enable it afterward).
- The VCU SAS license includes SAS e-Learning modules. To learn SAS, see: go.vcu.edu/saslearn
- Free statistical consulting is available by appointment — see: go.vcu.edu/statconsult
- Additional SAS resources are available.
To install SAS:
- Unzip the SAS94Linux.zip file into an EMPTY folder.
- After the files are extracted, navigate (cd) to that folder. This folder and its contents are known as a SAS software depot.
- Before installation, if desired you can run the SAS depot checker program to test the integrity of the extracted depot. To do so, launch the utilities/depotchecker/SASDepotCheck.sh program, that is contained in the depot, and, when prompted, provide the path to your depot. When the checker completes, examine the brief report it produces to ensure that no problems were found.
- Before installation, you are strongly encouraged to download into the depot any hot fixes that SAS has recently made available. These repair any known problems ("bugs") in the SAS software. To do so, launch the setup.sh program, found in the depot's root folder. On the first screen, select Manage this SAS Software Depot, and on the next screen select Retrieve Hot Fixes. (If you run the depot checker, do that before retrieving hot fixes, because the checker will report any new hot fix files as being problems.)
Follow the installation steps found at this site: Install and Configure SAS. But please note:
- That site shows a few additional screens that you will not see during your installation. You may ignore them.
- Remember the path of the SAS Home directory that you specify (seen in step 6 at that site). You will need to know that path later when you launch SAS (see below).
- As you progress through the installation screens, we recommend that you take the default choices that are in your screens, unless you have a reason to do otherwise.
- In particular, in the Select SAS/ACCESS Products to Configure screen (seen in step 12 at that site), we recommend that you NOT select the SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle checkbox.
- Also, if you see a Configure SAS Studio Basic screen (you should not), do NOT select that checkbox.
- If desired, you can run a couple of easy install validation tests. In the SAS 9.4 Qualification Tools Guide, see the SAS Installation Qualification Tool (pages 3-4), and the SAS Operational Qualification Tool (pages 7-8). You can also run the JAVAINFO procedure.
Immediately after installation and every few weeks or months, you are encouraged to check for and install any hot fixes that have become available for SAS 9.4. For more information, please see the Applying Hot Fixes after the Installation section on page 30 of the SAS® Deployment Wizard and SAS® Deployment Manager 9.4: User’s Guide. Note that downloading hot fixes into the SAS depot prior to installation, as noted above, might not obtain all required hot fixes, as some needed hot fixes can only be identified after installation.
- A tuning guide from Red Hat, detailing how to obtain optimal performance with SAS 9.4 in RHEL environments, is available:
To launch SAS 9.4, execute this program file:
This assumes that you chose the default location for the 'SASHome' directory (/usr/local/SASHome) during installation.
This article was updated: 05/28/2020