Software Description: SAS® (Statistical Analysis Software) is a statistical analysis program. This version is limited to academic, teaching, and research use. For Administrative use of SAS, visit SAS for Admin Use.
Platform: Windows, Linux, App2Go server, SAS Cloud, Fenn server.
Cost: No charge for authorized use, available via download.
On this page:
- Software Download
- Installation Instructions
- License Renewal
- Training and Support
- Installation Alternatives
VCU has a SAS university site license for VCU Academic Education and Research only. Teaching faculty may use it as a teaching and learning resource to gain analytical skills, build courses, create degree programs, grant certificates, conduct academic research, and network with other SAS users. It does NOT allow use for administrative purposes or use by VCUHS employees.
- Usage is limited to VCU-related academic teaching and academic research.
- Any other use, including but not limited to university administration and operations, is strictly prohibited. In particular, the following are prohibited:
- VCU administrative use
- any VCUHS use or McGuire VA Medical Center use
- Usage is limited to currently enrolled VCU students and currently employed faculty or staff members of VCU.
- Installation and licensing are limited to computers owned by:
- Currently enrolled VCU students **
- Currently employed faculty or staff members of VCU **
** If your VCU enrollment, employment, or computer ownership ends, the SAS products must immediately be uninstalled.
- A new license of SAS software is issued annually in July. Information on the request for renewal will be emailed to registered SAS users.
- The following are prohibited:
- Making SAS license files (SID files or setinits) available to other persons or organizations.
- Transferring or exporting SAS outside the USA.
- Reselling or distributing VCU's SAS license or Software.
- Reverse assembling, reverse engineering, or decompiling the Software or otherwise attempting to access the source code.
- Using the SAS logo in SAS applications developed by VCU.
Note: Violating the license may result in civil or criminal legal action and University disciplinary action. Review the VCU Computer and Network Resource Use Policy for compliance details.
- Click the relevant link above to access the SAS Software Download.
- Tech support groups for VCU units may request download access to the SAS installation depot of files on our file server. The downloaded files can be used to install SAS within their unit in labs, classrooms, etc., or on computers owned by VCU students, faculty, or staff. All installations of SAS must be registered according to the instructions noted in Renew License below and adhere to the SAS License restrictions listed above. To request download access, please contact the IT Support Center.
SAS 9.4 for Windows
Follow these SAS 9.4 Windows Installation Instructions to install SAS 9.4. The version currently available for download (as of March 1, 2023) is SAS 9.4 TS1M7, Rev. 940_20w47, which will install the following products:
- Base SAS, SAS Studio 3.81, SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3, and the other products in the SAS Education Analytic Suite
- SAS Enterprise Miner 15.2
- SAS Text Miner 15.2
Please see SAS Enterprise Miner / Text Miner for additional information on SAS Enterprise Miner/Text Miner.
SAS 9.4 for Linux
SAS for macOS
See Installation Alternatives below.
Training & Support
Several training resources, consultation, and technical support services are available to faculty, staff, and students. The list of available resources is listed below.
SAS Documentation and Resources
- SAS Documentation - Online books and documentation.
- SAS Support and Resources - Knowledge bases, webinars, technical chat, support groups, conferences, etc.
SAS e-Learning Courses - These are interactive video tutorials hosted on the SAS Academic Hub website. They allow you to learn basic, intermediate, and advanced SAS concepts and skills. They can be used to support academic instruction and research ONLY by current VCU students, faculty, and staff.
Current VCU students, faculty, and staff can gain FREE access to these SAS e-Learning courses as follows:
- Visit: Free SAS E-Learning for Academics
- Click the For Educators or For Students button (they both get you to the same courses).
- Scroll down and click the Register for the SAS Academic Hub button.
- On the next screen, log in with your SAS profile (or click the Create Profile button to create a free SAS profile).
- Follow the directions presented for accessing e-Learning and go through the checkout process. During checkout, be sure to use your vcu.edu email address.
- An email will be sent to you with an activation code and instructions for accessing the courses. If you encounter any problems or have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SAS Help Videos - A series of web-based help videos for learning SAS created by VCU's Dr. Ed Boone (the SAS videos are near the bottom of this page).
- O'Reilly for Higher Education - SAS video tutorials and other online SAS resources are free to VCU students, faculty, and staff. To access these, sign in with your VCU eID and password, search for SAS, and select your desired format.
- LinkedIn Learning - SAS video tutorials are available at LinkedIn Learning at no cost to VCU students, faculty, and staff. To access these, start at VCU LinkedIn Learning, click the Login to LinkedIn Learning button, and log in with your VCU eID and password. Then, on the LinkedIn Learning website, search for "SAS."
Instructor-Led Classes at SAS Inc.
SAS Institute Training SAS Courses - SAS Institute offers extensive public course offerings. The nearest training locations are Arlington, VA, Washington, DC, and Cary, NC. VCU faculty, staff, and students are eligible for a 50% educational discount on most SAS Institute public training courses, certification exams, and e-Learning courses.
SAS and Statistical Consulting Services at VCU
The VCU Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research provides various consulting services through the Statistics and Analytics Consulting Lab. Inquiries and appointment requests may be directed to email@example.com.
If you have difficulty installing, licensing, or running SAS, please submit a ticket to the VCU IT Support Center for assistance.
- SAS OnDemand for Academics - A free version of SAS that can be used directly on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It runs in the cloud (no installation necessary), and you access it via a web browser. This is "real" SAS and is provided by SAS, Inc. It can only be used for learning and educational purposes or academic research at VCU that is not published for profit. For more information, please see Free SAS.
- SAS on the VCU App2Go Server - If you need quick access to SAS, the Software may be accessed from the App2Go server via a web browser. App2Go provides you access to SAS (and several other applications) virtually. SAS appears to be running on your local computer, and you can open and save files on your computer and print them on your local printer. More information is provided on the App2Go website and how to use the app2Go server. Applications on the App2Go server cannot be used in classroom settings.
- SAS on a VCU Linux Server - The VCU High-Performance Research Computing Core provides servers for many research needs, including access to SAS. SAS may be run on the Fenn server in batch mode or interactive mode or by using it in conjunction with SAS on your PC.