Software Description: SAS® (Statistical Analysis Software) is a statistical analysis program.
Platform: Windows, Linux, App2Go server, Koti server.
Cost: No charge for authorized use, available via download.
SAS for Teaching & Research Use
VCU has a SAS university site license for VCU Academic Education and Research only. Teaching faculty may use it as a resource for teaching and learning, to gain analytical skills, build courses, create degree programs, grant certificates, conduct academic research, and network with other SAS users. It does NOT allow use for administrative purposes (see the Admin Use tab above) or use by VCUHS employees.
Site License Restrictions
- Usage is limited to VCU related academic teaching and academic research.
- Any other use, including but not limited to university administration and operations, is strictly prohibited. In particular, the following are prohibited:
- VCU administrative use (if you need SAS for administrative use, please visit the above Admin Use tab)
- any VCUHS use or McGuire VA Medical Center use
- Usage is limited to currently enrolled VCU students and currently employed faculty or staff members of VCU.
- Installation and licensing are limited to computers owned by:
- Currently enrolled VCU students **
- Currently employed faculty or staff members of VCU **
** If your VCU enrollment, employment, or computer ownership ends, the SAS products must immediately be uninstalled.
- All software installations must be registered. If you obtain SAS at RamTech, you are asked at RamTech to register SAS online for a specified number of installations. Or, if you obtain SAS by downloading a zip file from VCU Technology Services, you are automatically registered when visiting that site. Any other installations, including those using SAS, obtained elsewhere (e.g., from a fellow VCU colleague) must be registered by following the steps listed within the above Renew/Register tab.
- Also, you MUST NOT:
- Make SAS license files (aka SID files or setinits) available to other persons or organizations.
- Transfer or export SAS outside the USA.
- Resell or distribute the SAS license or software.
- Reverse assemble, reverse engineer, or decompile the Software or otherwise attempt to access the source code.
- Use the SAS logo in SAS applications developed by VCU.
Note: Violation of the license policy may result in civil or criminal legal actions as well as University disciplinary action. Review the VCU Computer and Network Resource Use Policy for compliance details.
SAS for Administrative Use
The SAS teaching and research site license, referenced in the above Teaching/Research Use tab, CANNOT be used for administrative purposes. However, separate administrative use licenses are available:
For Data on Banner ODS (Operational Data Store)
If you need to use SAS for administrative purposes in regard to data stored on the Banner ODS, such as HR, finance, or student records data, that can be accomplished by using certain SAS tools, such as SAS Enterprise Guide, without installing the full "Base SAS" software on your PC. For assistance, please contact the appropriate Banner ODS data owner. Additional Banner ODS data resources are available at ODS Data Access and Reporting.
For Other Data Sources or Uses
If you feel you need to install the full "Base SAS" software on your PC to use for administrative purposes, for example, to analyze non-Banner data, please visit SAS Admin request for more information and assistance.
SAS for Administrative Use
To obtain SAS that will be used for administrative purposes, please refer to the above Admin Use tab.
SAS for Teaching & Research Use
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows: Windows 10 Professional/Enterprise/Education/Home (64-bit and 32-bit)
Linux: See Linux system requirements.
Mac: See the SAS On A Mac section below.
Obtain SAS Installation Files
(If you need SAS for administrative use, please visit the Admin tab above.)
For current VCU students, faculty, and staff, the SAS application for Windows and Linux is is available, at no charge, for individual download as a zip file (which must be extracted after download). Tech support groups for VCU units may request server access to the SAS installation depot of files. For Macs, see the SAS On A Mac section below.
The installation and use of SAS must conform to the site license restrictions noted within the above Teaching/Research Use tab.
To download the SAS installation zip file, at no charge, begin by visiting the appropriate site:
- On the first scren, read the SAS license requirements in the registration form.
- Check all boxes to confirm your agreement with the license terms. All licensing conditions must be abided by, or the license will be revoked.
- Select your Installation Location(s).
- Select the number of licenses to be installed/registered.
- Press the Continue button.
- A registration confirmation screen will appear containing the SAS download link. Download the SAS installation zip file. The zip file is very large (Windows about 13 GB, Linux about 6 GB). The Windows file may take an hour or more to download, depending on the speed of your Internet connection.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your VCU address
You may share the zip file with fellow VCU students, faculty, and staff for SAS installation on their PCs. However, such installations must be registered according to the instructions noted within the above Renew/Register tab. And the installation and use of SAS must conform to the site license restrictions noted within the above Teaching/Research Use tab.
Tech Support Group Access
Tech support groups for VCU units may request download access to the SAS installation depot of files on our file server. The downloaded files can be used to install SAS within their unit in labs, classrooms, etc., or on computers owned by VCU students, faculty, or staff. All installations of SAS must be registered by following the steps listed within the above Renew/Register tab, and the SAS license restrictions listed within the above Teaching/Research Use tab must be adhered to. To request download access, please contact the IT Support Center.
SAS Installation Instructions
SAS 9.4 for Windows
Follow these SAS 9.4 Windows Installation Instructions to install SAS 9.4. The version currently available for download (as of November 12, 2020) is SAS 9.4 TS1M7, Rev. 940_20w39, which will install the following products:
- Base SAS, SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3, and the other products in the SAS Education Analytic Suite
- SAS Enterprise Miner 15.2
- SAS Text Miner 15.2
- SAS Studio 3.81
For additional information on SAS Enterprise Miner / Text Miner, please see SAS Enterprise Miner/Text Miner.
SAS 9.4 for Linux
SAS On A Mac
SAS, per se, is not available for the Macintosh, only for Windows and Linux. However, there are some options available to allow you to use SAS on a Mac:
- There are two free versions of SAS that can be used on the Mac (these are "real" SAS). See the Free SAS discussion, just below.
- You can install either Windows or Linux on a Macintosh, and then install and use SAS within that Windows or Linux environment. For information about obtaining and installing Windows, please see Windows on a Mac
- You can access SAS via the App2Go server. Researchers can also access SAS on the Koti Linux server. These two options are discussed below.
Other Ways to Access SAS
SAS is available for teaching and research use via alternate sources:
- Free SAS - There are two free versions of SAS that can be used directly on Windows, Mac, and Linux:
- SAS University Edition (runs on your computer)
- SAS OnDemand (runs in the cloud)
These are "real" SAS and are provided by SAS, Inc. They can only be used for learning and educational purposes or for academic research at VCU that is not being published for profit. For more information, please see Free SAS.
- SAS on the VCU App2Go Server - If you need quick access to SAS, the software may be accessed from the App2Go server via a web browser. App2Go provides you access to SAS (and several other applications) virtually. SAS appears to be running on your local computer, and you can open and save files on your computer and print on your local printer. More information is provided on the App2Go website and how to use the app2Go server. Applications on the App2Go server cannot be used in classroom settings.
- SAS on a VCU Linux Server - Koti is a central Linux server that provides access to SAS for researchers. SAS may be run in batch mode or interactive mode, or by using SAS/Connect in conjunction with SAS on your PC.
SAS for Administrative Use
To renew or register SAS that will be used for administrative purposes, please refer to the above Admin Use tab.
SAS for Teaching & Research Use
Renew/Register Your SAS License
The renewal of SAS licenses must be completed annually. SAS licenses expire on June 30 each year. There is a 90-day grace period that extends through September 28. Failure to renew prior to September 29 will result in SAS not running on your computer. All SAS licenses must be registered.
All SAS licenses must be registered. If you obtained SAS at RamTech, you were asked at RamTech to register SAS online for a specified number of installations. Or, if you obtained SAS by downloading a zip file from VCU Technology Services, you registered when visiting that site. To register any other installations, including those using SAS obtained elsewhere (e.g., from a fellow VCU student or colleague), select the appropriate link from the list below and, at that website, provide the requested information and click the Continue button. A confirmation screen will display, and you will receive a confirmatin email.
To renew your SAS license, you must download and apply a new "SID file" (SAS Information Data file). Using the new SID file will extend your SAS license through the subsequent June 30, plus a 90-day grace period through September 28. To download the SID file, select the link below that matches your SAS version (if unsure, you probably have SAS 9.4 for Windows 64-bit). On the ensuing web page, provide the requested information and click the Continue button. Then on the final page, follow the download instructions provided. Instructions for applying the SID file will be sent to your VCU email address.
- SAS 9.4 for Windows (64-bit)
- SAS 9.4 for Windows (32-bit)
- SAS 9.3 for Windows (64-bit)
- SAS 9.3 for Windows (32-bit)
- SAS 9.4 for Linux (64-bit)
- SAS 9.3 for Linux (64-bit)
How to determine what version you are running?
- Launch SAS.
- The SAS Log window will contain NOTEs which display the SAS version number and operating system platform.
How to find your SAS license expiration date?
To determine when your SAS software will expire, submit the following SAS program, and then look in the SAS Log window:
Note that SAS will continue to run during a 90 day grace period beyond the expiration date that is displayed.
SAS Documentation and Resources
- SAS Documentation - Online books and documentation.
- SAS Support and Resources - Knowledge bases, webinars, technical chat, support groups, conferences, etc.
SAS e-Learning Courses - These are interactive video tutorials that are hosted on the SAS Academic Hub website. They allow you to learn basic, intermediate, and advanced SAS concepts and skills. They can be used to support academic instruction and research ONLY by current VCU students, faculty, and staff.
Current VCU students, faculty, and staff can gain FREE access to these SAS e-Learning courses as follows:
- Visit: Free SAS E-Learning for Academics
- Click either the For Educators or For Students button (they both get you to the same courses).
- Scroll down a bit and click the Start the process to request materials button.
- On the next screen, click the Checkout button and go through the checkout process. During checkout, be sure to use your vcu.edu email address.
- An email will be sent to you with an activation code and instructions for accessing the courses.
Here is a list of the available courses:
- Applied Analytics Using SAS Enterprise Miner
- Creating Reports and Graphs with SAS Enterprise Guide
- Instant Applications Using JMP Application Builder
- Introduction to Statistical Concepts
- JMP Software: A Case Study Approach to Data Exploration
- JMP Software: ANOVA and Regression
- JMP Software: Classic Design of Experiments
- JMP Software: Custom Design of Experiments
- Predictive Modeling Using Logistic Regression
- Rapid Predictive Modeling for Business Analysts
- SAS Certification Practice Exam: Advanced Programming Using SAS 9.4 Performance-Based Exam
- SAS Certification Practice Exam: SAS 9.4 Base Programming - Performance Based Exam
- SAS Enterprise Guide 1: Querying and Reporting
- SAS Enterprise Guide 2: Advanced Tasks and Querying
- SAS Enterprise Guide: ANOVA, Regression, and Logistic Regression
- SAS Macro Language 1: Essentials
- SAS Macro Language 2: Advanced Techniques
- SAS Programming 1: Essentials
- SAS Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques
- SAS Programming 3: Advanced Techniques
- SAS Programming 3: Advanced Techniques and Efficiencies
- SAS SQL 1: Essentials
- Statistics 1: Introduction to ANOVA, Regression, and Logistic Regression
- SAS Help Videos - A series of web-based help videos for learning SAS, created by VCU's Dr. Ed Boone.
- O`Reilly for Higher Education - SAS video tutorials and other online SAS resources are available at no cost to VCU students, faculty, and staff. To access these, sign in with your VCU eID and password, then search for SAS, then select your desired format.
- LinkedIn Learning - SAS video tutorials are available at LinkedIn Learning, at no cost to VCU students, faculty, and staff. To access these, start at VCU LinkedIn Learning and login with your VCU eID and password. Then, at the LinkedIn Learning website, search for "SAS."
Instructor-Led SAS Classes at VCU
VCU Technology Services Short Courses on SAS - VCU Technology Services offers the following series of hands-on short courses to introduce SAS programming, each taught in 3.5-hour sessions. This series is typically offered early each fall and spring semester, and registration is required. An email announcement is sent to all registered VCU SAS users (if you obtained SAS via downlaod from VCU Technology Services or at RamTech, you are automatically registered). Note that statistical analysis is NOT taught in these classes, and they are NOT appropriate for Banner SAS users.
SAS Data Management *
SAS File Management *
* These two classes require some prior experience using SAS, such as that learned by taking the SAS Overview course.
Instructor-Led SAS Classes at SAS Inc.
SAS Institute Training SAS Courses - SAS Institute offers an extensive selection of public course offerings. Nearest training locations are Arlington, VA, Washington DC, and Cary, NC. VCU faculty, staff, and students are eligible for a 50% educational discount on most SAS Institute public training courses, certification exams, and e-Learning courses.
SAS & Statistical Consulting Services
The Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research provides a variety of consulting services through the Statistics and Analytics Consulting Lab. Inquiries and appointment requests may be directed to email@example.com.
If you have difficulty installing, licensing, or running SAS, please submit a ticket with the IT Support Center for assistance.