SAS 9.4 Install Instructions for Windows
Includes SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1, SAS Studio 3.8, and SAS Enterprise Miner 15.1.
(64-bit or 32-bit)
Note: SAS 9.4 is supported for Windows 10 (all versions), Windows 8.1 (Pro, Enterprise), and Windows 7 SP1 (Pro, Enterprise, Ultimate). Other versions may be partially supported. For details, see Supported Operating Systems.
Note: During this installation of SAS 9.4, the product SAS/OR will NOT be installed, due to technical issues. If you need SAS/OR, first install SAS 9.4 using these instructions below and using a SAS 9.4 USB flash drive obtained from VCU RamTech on or after August 14, 2018. Then perform the Installation Instructions for Windows SAS/OR 9.4.
These are instructions for installing SAS 9.4 for Windows. If you obtained SAS 9.4 from VCU RamTech on or after February 13, 2019, you obtained version SAS 9.4 TS1M6, Rev. 940_18w47.
- If you need assistance, please contact the IT Support Center (828-2227, email@example.com).
- Following these instructions will also install SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1, SAS Studio 3.8, and SAS Enterprise Miner 15.1, which includes SAS Text Miner 15.1.
- This install may take 1 hour or more to complete and requires about 10 GB of disk space.
- The Windows account doing the installation MUST have Administrative privileges.
- If possible, disable your anti-virus software before installation (and remember to re-enable it afterward).
- Before installing, close ALL other applications running on your computer.
- The VCU SAS license includes SAS e-Learning modules. To learn SAS, see: go.vcu.edu/saslearn
- Statistical consulting is available by appointment — see: go.vcu.edu/statconsult
To launch the SAS Installation:
- Insert the SAS 9.4 for Windows flash drive into a USB port on your PC.
- If an Auto Play window pops up, select “Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer”.
If not, open Windows Explorer (hold down the Windows key and press "e") and select your USB drive.
- In the list of files on the USB drive, right-click the application file named setup (or setup.exe) and select “Run as administrator”.
- If a Windows User Account Control window appears, select the “Yes” button.
The SAS Deployment Wizard will launch:
The SAS Deployment Wizard may take several minutes to startup. Please be patient.
On the "Choose Language" screen, select the OK button:
The Deployment Wizard screen will redisplay for several seconds. Please be patient.
On the "Select Deployment Task" screen, select “Install SAS software” and then the Next button:
On the "Specify SAS Home" screen, select the Next button to choose the default SASHome directory:
On the “Select Products to Install” screen, click the Next button to retain the default selections.
On the "Select SAS Foundation Mode" screen, if you have 64-bit Windows (or if you are unsure) select 64-bit. If you have 32-bit Windows, select 32-bit: Then select the Next button.
On the "Select SAS Enterprise Guide Mode" screen, click the Next button to choose the default selection.
On the “Select SAS Foundation Products” screen, choose Select All. Then click Next.
On the “Specify SAS Installation Data File” screen, select Next:
On the “Select Language Support” screen, click the Next button:
On the “Select Regional Settings” screen, click the Next button:
On the “Default Product for SAS File Types” screen, select “SAS Foundation” and then the Next button:
On the “Specify SAS Document Conversion Host and Port” screen, click the Next button:
On the “Checking System” screen, the process of loading install packages may take several minutes. When Checking System has completed, click the Next button:
On the “Deployment Summary” screen, click the Start button:
Note: This screen may look different depending on what system requirements need to be added to your PC and what components you have selected to install.
Note: If you get an error regarding installation of Systems Requirements, please follow instructions at: http://support.sas.com/kb/45/588.html
The copying files portion of the installation may take 30 minutes or more.
As the installation progresses, a green check mark will appear beside successfully installed modules. Some of the modules, such as 'SAS Deployment Manager', take a long time to install, and others install quickly. Please be patient.
If products such as Microsoft Runtime Components and/or Microsoft Office Access Database Engine need to be installed, multiple reboots may be required. If so, you may see this message:
If you are on Active Directory and know your Active Directory Domain Name:
Check “Automatically log back on after reboot”
Enter your Active Directory Domain Name, User Name and Password.
Select the OK button.
Do NOT check “Automatically log back on after reboot”
Select the OK button to restart your computer
If needed, restart the installation as directed on at the start of this document.
When the “Deployment Complete” Screen appears, select Next:
Note: The total number of items installed will vary, depending on the computer.
On the “Select Support Option” screen, select “Do Not Send” and the Next button:
On the ”Additional Resources” screen, select the Finish button:
If you had disabled your anti-virus software, re-enable it now.
After installation, and periodically over time, you are encouraged to check for and install any hot fixes that are available for SAS 9.4. These will fix any known problems ("bugs") in the SAS software. For more information, please visit SAS Hot Fixes. To stay informed about newly released hot fixes, visit https://communities.sas.com/tsnews.
Note: During this installation of SAS 9.4 (just completed), the product SAS/OR was NOT installed (due to technical issues). If you need SAS/OR installed, please now perform the SAS/OR 9.4 Install Instructions.
To launch SAS 9.4:
- If you have a Windows Start menu, select: Start / Programs / SAS / SAS 9.4 (English)
- If not, type SAS 9.4 in your Windows screen or search box and press Enter.
To launch SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 :
- If you have a Windows Start menu, select: Start / Programs / SAS / SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1
- If not, type SAS Enterprise Guide in your Windows screen or search box and press Enter.
To launch SAS Studio 3.8 :
- If you have a Windows Start menu, select: Start / Programs / SAS / SAS Studio 3.8
- If not, type SAS Studio in your Windows screen or search box and press Enter.
To launch SAS Enterprise Miner 15.1 (which includes SAS Text Miner 15.1):
- If you have a Windows Start menu, select: Start / Programs / SAS / SAS Enterprise Miner Workstation 15.1
- If not, type SAS Enterprise Miner in your Windows screen or search box and press Enter.
This article was updated: 02/15/2019